Thursday, March 5, 2009

#51 - 05 March 2009 - "Moving Forward"

“Now, this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." -Sir Winston Churchill

I am starting to feel the itch of returning to Denver. In conversations and e-mail discussions with family, friends and business associates, I have begun to feel the transformation from eager culinary adventurer to the seasoned Chef and Educator that I have grown accustomed to being...

I have been asked innumerable times - "Do I miss my family and friends? Will I miss Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley and California? Will I miss The French Laundry? Am I excited to return to Denver and Assignments Restaurant?" Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

I'll not be able to put any closure on this experience as it will never be "closed" to me. I assume that I'll be gathering and ruminating upon bits and pieces from this stage and sabbatical for some time...

I will continue the webblog long after I have departed from California for I find it cathartic to write and enjoy the responses from a variety of people from my past and present. It has been a useful tool to document my experience and coelece my thoughts. Yet, by no means am I completely finished here in California. I have a big week coming up at TFL, I will be hosting and catering another event in Santa Rosa next week and then a succession of family members and friends are streaming into California. So....I'll be tour guide in my adopted state for about ten days. JoAnne and I will be auto-touring Northern California and then heading east to Colorado at the end of the month.

There is still much to see and work with at TFL. I have finally compiled all my notes into folders and recipe files. There are over 100 new techniques and methods in my repetoire. The images of TFL are burned into my memory and the lessons learned here in California are completely applicable to me wherever I may land. I look forward to sharing the journey with everyone. That was the intention of this adventure... Peace.

~R