Tuesday, January 13, 2009

#2 - 13 January 2009 - The Set-Up...

It's amazing that this actually worked...

Moving on. I am on sabbatical from The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of Colorado (AiC from now on) and will be a stagier at The French Laundry starting next Monday, the 19th of January until the end of March...and I just turned 50 in November... In other words, you are never too old to learn more about your trade or field of endeavor. This experience is much more than just cooking, however. I began the process to attain a stage in November of 2007. I sent dozens of letters and then repeated the process because my sabbatical was delayed until now. I received some acceptances; most notably from The Fat Duck in Bray, England, Charlie Trotter's and Tru in Chicago, Illinois, Alain Ducasse in Paris, France and Frasca Food & Wine in Boulder, Colorado. Then on the 10th of October 2008 I received what I really wanted all the time. A stage at The French Laundry. How do I turn down the chef and food that I have tried to replicate, in my own way, since 1999 when I first became aware of "the cookbook" (show to me by a chef-friend, Brad Watson)? So, I'm off to California. Why? Why a stage, why a sabbatical, why now...? These are all the questions I receive from friends, family, students, etc. So, I'll tell you. It began with a question that came to me from Camilo Robledo (a former student and future-great-chef): "What do you love to cook and what do you love to eat?" It's the old chef's game - ask a chef what their last meal would be and then sit back and listen... (check out Melanie Dunea's book My Last Supper - 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals). Ask yourself: 1. Last Meal? 2. With whom? 3. Where? 4. Would you cook? 5. If you could duplicate a meal from the past, what would it be? 6. What do you love to cook? 7. What do you love to eat? 8. What's your favorite restaurant? I never thought that there would be so much learning involved with teaching…I ask students this question all the time. When I asked myself the answer became a search. A search for more in my world. A search for greater understanding. The more that I thought I knew, the more I knew that didn't know very much. I realized that cooks and chefs sometimes do not fulfill themselves away from the stove. Experiences are what enliven us and I needed to do that. Hence, I applied for the sabbatical and with a grateful heart I was granted this time to continue my search. It's not just about the food. The stage is all about observing the finest restaurant in the land. Understanding the philosophy. Seeing, firsthand, how the brigade functions. Witnessing the creative moments. Finding an understanding of why this place is so good and, ultimately, finding where I stand in all of that.... Of course, spending two and one-half months in Napa valley can't be all bad... I will be soaking up all that I can in food and wine and writing each evening (or morning, as the case may be). As I move closer to this time in my life I wish to thank the AiC (faculty, students & staff) for their belief in me and for the opportunity to explore my soul and this experience in California. I wish to thank, posthumously, Chef John Frye for befriending me and guiding my future during my apprenticeship in Arizona, and to Chef Esteban Colon (not-posthumously...!) for igniting the flames of passion in me. Thank yous go to the family as well; Mom, Dad, bro and sis', and to my wife, JoAnne (10,069 days today...) for putting up with all of this, and to Megan & Ryan for whom all of this is for... Love ya.

~R